Wednesday, May 13, 2009

RIGHT ON TIME

On May first, I heard, but did not see, out first hummingbird of the season.

The next morning there he was- glaring into my kitchen window, and saying "OK lady, I've come a long way from Costa Rica. WHERE'S MY FEEDER!!

I hastened out to the garage fridge to find some sugar water that did not get used last year when everybody decided to migrate. Yea! There was about a cup there, and it was not molded.

I poured that into a small feeder and hung it while I was boiling up a couple of quarts of new feeder syrup.


Soon enough there he was.

He has been joined by others--I hesitate to say "friends" since hummingbirds seem to hate each other passionately. Right now, we have only males of the ruby throat and black chinned varieties. They come first by about 2 weeks to stake out a territory before the ladies arrive-- find a good apartment, and all that. We are expecting females any day now. Rufous hummingbirds arrive in July. They are so beautiful in the sunlight!

1 comment: